Skip to content
Schedule A Call

How Much Cyber Security Does My Business Need?

As a business leader, you may question the integrity of your cybersecurity measures. But how do you evaluate your current risk and decide if it's time to level up your IT security? Let's cut through the complexities and establish a clear-cut action plan for fortifying your business against cyber threats.


Understanding Cybersecurity Threats

Cybersecurity isn't just about installing the latest antivirus software; it's about understanding and responding to the ever-evolving threats that businesses face. Organized crime and technological advancements, such as artificial intelligence, have elevated risks exponentially. Businesses today grapple with ransomware, email compromise, wire fraud, and data theft—threats that are as sophisticated as they are damaging.

It's also important to understand up-front that there is no such thing as complete security. Even governments and billion-dollar companies can be breached by cybercriminals. This reality demands that businesses shift their strategy from preventing a breach to minimizing its impact. They must prepare for the 'when' and not the 'if.'

Fortifying Your Business with Advanced IT Security

Adopting a Framework

One vital step is to adopt a robust cybersecurity framework. The CIS Controls are a tried and trusted set of practices that protect against specific risks and are quantified into manageable actions. Following these controls can shield you from a significant percentage of common threats. For example, EpiOn’s approach to compliance with Implementation Group 1 (IG-1) of the CIS Controls can protect against 77% of prevalent threats.

Know Your Score

Assuming you follow a framework, what is your current alignment score against that framework? Because cyber threats and your IT environment evolve, this should become an ongoing part of your IT management relationship, with periodic updates on your alignment score. If you don’t have a framework, or your IT team can’t provide an alignment score, get a one-time assessment to serve as a baseline.

Address the Gaps

Unfortunately, in cybersecurity, there is a point of diminishing returns. Once you achieve 80% compliance with your framework, you can then have informed conversations with your IT team about the cost of remediating that remaining 20%.

1) Get an assessment to know where you stand.

2) Get to 80% or better.

3) Discuss the cost of closing additional risks with your IT team.

Ensuring that your IT environment aligns with your chosen framework is an ongoing task that requires diligence. Also, don't overlook the importance of cyber insurance—it's an essential part of your defense strategy.

To bring this plan to fruition, EpiOn’s Cerberus Advanced Security Service, together with our EmPower IT management program, offers you a concrete path to achieving substantial compliance with the critical aspects of IG-1 and most of IG-2. This service is not just a solution; it's peace of mind, knowing that your business is fortified against a significant portion of cyber threats.

The digital age has made advanced IT security an essential pillar of any business. While the threats are real and constantly evolving, the approach to defending against them doesn't have to be a leap into the unknown. With frameworks like the CIS Controls and the expert guidance and services of EpiOn, you can craft a cybersecurity plan that is both effective and efficient.